Below, view the schedule for Digital Kids Edu, taking place in San Francisco on September 18th.
Welcome and Introduction
- Tonda Sellers, VP of Conferences, Engage Digital
9:00 a.m.-9:10 a.m.
Disruption in the Market
Brett Somers, MIT-Stanford VLAB EdTech forum
9:10 a.m.-10:00 a.m.
Redefining What It Means to Educate Kids Today
- Silvia Lovato, Senior Director, Products, PBS KIDS Digital
- David Kleeman, SVP, Insights Program and PlayVangelist, PlayCollective
With the boundaries swiftly being erased between formal and informal learning, and digital devices increasingly migrating between home and school, what are educational media developers’ “must-know” statistics, trends, insights and innovations concerning kids, families and educators?
David Kleeman will begin with the top 10 things you need to know about today’s digital youth as learners. Silvia Lovato will present perspective gained through PBS KIDS’ on-going iteration of its digital offerings and how insights get turned into practice.
Following brief presentations, Kleeman and Lovato will hold a conversation, involving the audience, about the significance of these trends and developments.
10:00 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
10:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
Emerging Platforms & Technologies
As kids continue to immerse themselves in the digital space, new ways to inspire learning are frequently emerging. The digital kids education space offers unique complexities including interactivity, immersion, scalability and intense user involvement that new technologies are now leveraging. This session will examine the new technologies and platforms being used as education tools. Speakers will also discuss the alternatives that are available for the various platforms.
- Moderator: Beth Blecherman, Founder/Editor & Chief Technology Mom, TechMamas.com
- Srinivas Mandyam, CTO/Founder, Tynker
- Nancy MacIntyre, CEO and Co-Founder, Fingerprint
- Josh Chan, CEO, LightUp
- David Baszucki, Co-Creator and CEO, ROBLOX
11:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
You Can Be The Hero?: How FEMA is Engaging Youth on Emergency Preparedness Using Digital Tools
For FEMA, engaging youth and families through education in the classroom and online is an effective way of teaching them the ins and outs of emergency preparedness. In honor of National Preparedness Month this September, the federal agency will launch Ready Kids, a multi platform initiative which includes classroom learning as well as a website and online gaming. The program will refresh, update, and offer new materials that will communicate valuable disaster preparedness, response, and recovery information to youth, their parent/caregivers, and educators. Working with FEMA, CarrotNewYork, education marketing specialists, created the ReadyKids.gov site and related classroom materials.
- Julie Livingston, Senior Director, CarrotNewYork
- Darryl J. Madden, Director, FEMA’s Ready Campaign for Emergency Preparedness
12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m.-2:00 p.m.
Defining Your Strategy
This session will cover how to identify your goals and strategies within digital kids educational technology. Look at prior considerations from established players who are forging new frontiers to establish new markets where no clear leaders have yet emerged. What strategies are successful in educational technology? How do you align business strategies, such as customer acquisition, revenue models and consumer targets, with with educational strategies. These educational strategies include concepts such as the school versus home market; direct instruction versus stealth learning; demographic focus; play versus simulation and real-world learning; and more.
- Moderator: Scott Traylor, Chief KID, CEO and Founder, 360KID
- Diana Rhoten, Chief Strategy Officer, Amplify
- Stuart Drexler, Chief Product Officer, Tykoon
- Thijs Bosma, Founder, TribePlay
- John West, CEO, The Whistle
- Karina Linch, SVP of Product Management, BrainPOP
2:00 p.m.-2:15 p.m.
2:15 p.m.-3:15 p.m.
Creation over Consumption & How to Plan for the Future
Allowing kids space to creatively think rather than simply consume inspires learning. How do children interact with educational technologies? Understand the demographics of young learners so you can plan your presence accordingly. To what do they respond well? This session will cover how to communicate your efforts to the consumer from launch to day-to-day management. Understand the “in’s” and “out’s” of your audience.
- Moderator: Izzy Neis, Director of Digital Engagement & Strategy, Metaverse Mod Squad
- Yuval Kaminka, CEO and Co-Founder, JoyTunes
- Jacob Klein, Co-Founder, MotionMath
- Jessica Lindl, General Manager, Institute of Play
- Laura Feeney, Education Advocate, Adobe
3:15 p.m.-3:30 p.m.
3:30 p.m.-3:50 p.m.
App Design in Education
Duck Duck Moose is the startup behind a series of educational apps for children with more than 3 million paid downloads. In her talk, Co-founder Caroline Hu Flexer will share personal insights and details about how their unique design process has led to success in the digital space.
- Caroline Hu Flexer, Co-Founder, Duck Duck Moose
3:50 p.m.-4:10 p.m.
Gamification of Education
Game-based learning and gamification in education provides a fun incentive for kids to develop key skills in the classroom. Drawing from his experiences from Woozworld, PBS Kids Play!, i Learn With as well as Houghton Mifflin Harcourt research, Pierre Le Lann will speak on the gameification of education, highlighting learning theories, adaptive learning as well as non-gamified learning experiences. He will also discuss trends such as school and home collaboration and share insight on the disconnect between the need to assess and open-ended play.
- Pierre Le Lann, Co-Founder, Tribal Nova
4:10 p.m.-4:30 p.m.
Utilizing YouTube in the Education Space
In this session, Molly will present a case study on using YouTube as a teaching tool as well as the importance of online gaming in education and what Google is doing in the space.
- Molly Passanisi, Head of Industry, Online Gaming, Google
4:30 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
Town Hall Meeting
Here, all attendees are invited to join in an open discussion to help each other understand how to navigate the new, quickly emerging and expanding digital kids education market.
- Reuben Steiger, Founder, 8 and Up
The Digital Kids goodness does not stop here. On Sept 19th we host our Digital Kids Summit, focusing on digital entertainment. Click to view the schedule.
- Movile Adds 13 New Series to PlayKids TV and Sets Sights on Global Expansion
- Club Penguin Co-Creator Lance Priebe Shares Journey to Mech Mice Launch
- New Disney Technology Allows You to ‘Feel’ Touchscreen Images
- Amazon Launches New Program for Developers
- App Annie Expands Analytics & Market Data Platform to eBook Realm
- Magic Light Pictures Launches First Mobile App
- 2013 Digital Kids Edu and Summit Audio MP3 Files Released
- Digital Kids Summit and Digital Kids Edu Speaker Presentations Now Available
- Skylanders Opens the Magical Skylands World to YouTube in New Boomcast Webisodes
- Baby Bytes and Precision Development Partner to Create App Suite for Families with Young Children